If you're booking a trip to Los Angeles that falls on a national holiday you may find some places are shut, but you also may be able to enjoy a different atmosphere in the city.
- New Year's Day: 1st January.
- Martin Luther King Jr Day: Third Monday of January.
- Presidents' Day: Third Monday of February. In honour of the country's ex-presidents, particularly George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
- Memorial Day: Last Monday of May. Pays tribute to the military personnel who lost their lives during service.
- Independence Day: 4th July. On 4th July 1776, thirteen colonies were declared free from British rule and they formed the first of the country's states.
- Labor Day: First Monday of September.
- Columbus Day: Second Monday of October.
- Veterans' Day: 11th November. In celebration of the end of World War One and in honour of all veterans.
- Thanksgiving: Last Thursday in November.
- Christmas: 25th December.